Sunday, May 24, 2009

Blessed.

I am so blessed to be where I am, with the people that I am with.

I'm getting to know the volunteers and they are pretty cool, but I definitely think the Odanadi girls are much, much cooler. (:

I've learned SO much since I've been here..and it's only been like three days!

The spirit of everyone at Odanadi (which means "soulmate" in Kannada - language used here in Karnataka) is AMAZING. The girls here are so special. Seeing them laugh, take care of one another and love each other is so beautiful.

The girls living at Odanadi range anywhere from ages four to 20. Most of them are victims of trafficking (all kinds, but mostly sex), while others have mothers who are involved with pimps and can't get out because of money. Others have either been rescued off the streets and many are also orphans.

I didn't know a lot of these things before coming to Odanadi. And not knowing this and meeting these girls has made me realize the power of this healing place. No one would ever guess what these girls have been through because they seem like a regular bunch of just girls!

Putting aside what they've been through, they simply are that: JUST GIRLS! (: They are beautiful inside and out and every time I hear a: "Sister Sharon! Sister Sharon!" I can't help but smile and really feel like I am a part of the Odanadi family.

So much has been learned from the past few days that I don't have time to write about everything here, but I hope this entry has given you all just a glimpse of what I am experiencing here so far...ALL BEFORE the actual cycle!

The cycle itself begins tomorrow. We are being dropped of at an inauguration, where we are being "sent off." After the bikes are dropped off at the site, we will ride back to Odanadi, eat lunch and then tackle our first village!

Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers!

<3, Sharon

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad everything is going well over there. I'm sure you will be helpful and an inspiration to the girls there. Remember to be beautiful, brief, and blinding! GANBATE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow... what an experience~
    열심히 잘 마치고... 건강하샘!!

    ReplyDelete